Guilderland, NY- Sometimes we’re asked what it means when we say we provide comprehensive dental care for our patients. It’s a great question and one worth discussing. An additional important piece of our commitment to comprehensive care is that we view each patient as a unique, whole person. We look at your mouth being connected to , influenced by and influencing your whole body. Factors such as your general health, medications you may take, your state of nutrition, problems with stress from work or life, as well as your own self-care habits are all important in understanding what is happening with your oral health.
Nothing in the human body exists or functions in isolation. In comprehensive care, we look at the mouth as more than teeth and gums-we include the soft tissues of the surrounding oral cavity and the muscles used for chewing and movement, including those around the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). The muscles that help create your bite or occlusion are often a source of problems that show up as jaw pain, neck or head aches, tooth wear and stress, and failure of dental restorations which can affect the health of your gums and jaw bones.
Our initial COMPREHENSIVE exam includes:
- Thorough review of your medical and dental history.
- A visual oral cancer screening and using the Velscope to examine the soft tissues.
- A series of diagnostic X-rays that provide a comprehensive view of your teeth and condition of your bones.
- A periodontal examination, which includes a thorough screening and assessment of your gums – to check for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- An occlusal exam, to check for bite problems (underbite, overbite, crossbite), worn teeth, and jaw problems, such as TMJ.
- A meticulous tooth-by-tooth check using a microscope to identify cavities, examine existing restorations and the current condition of each.
- Additionally, photos are taken of all of your teeth, and Dr. Oshins willpersonally sit down with you and review the findings with you.
“ My experience in Dr. Oshins’ office has
always been positive. I feel confident that I
am receiving high quality dental care in a
caring atmosphere.” -Rochelle T.